I don't usually camp on, review, or worry about my channel stats.
Not saying you shouldn't, but I don't.
I created this channel thinking maybe a handful of people starting out might be interested in some filmmaking advice and knowledge. I was overjoyed and shocked when I had one hundred people watching.
Then it was 500, then 1000, then 5000, 10,000, 20,000 and now 30,000, over 1 million views, and over 3.7 million minutes of video watched. That's over 62,000 hours. And that's over 2,500 days, which is someone watching 24 hours a day for 7 years.
I'm sure I am doing something right - maybe weekly video postings, promoting the channel, answering every single question, comment and email (now over 13,000 as of this date), and keeping this channel simple (basic) for those that are interested in filmmaking.
Sure, that's part of it.
But the biggest impact of all has been the people themselves.
Somehow, by the grace of whatever...
- I have a what I consider the largest collection of kind subscribers and viewers anywhere. You know who you are.
- Then another handful of helpful and supportive YouTube creators I've had the pleasure to associate with. I cannot possibly list them all, and don't want to, as I'd be embarrassed if I forgot someone. You know who you are.
- And YouTube itself and the people who work there. You know who you are.
- And other filmmaking websites and filmmaking professionals who have helped. You know who you are.
- And many, many friends I've made during the couple of years since starting this channel. You know who you are.
That's why I think it has grown at what I would consider a monster rate.
I can't thank everyone enough for welcoming me and what I am trying to do for the basic filmmakers out there.
It warms my heart that there are that many people willing to support someone who loves helping others.
And that's the real reason I'll just keep doing it
The Basic Filmmaker